Library User Rights and Responsibilities: Home
Library User Rights and Responsibilities
The following statement deals with specific library concerns and assumes all library users are aware of and will comply with behavioral standards established by the University of Wyoming and the City of Laramie, particularly the Student Code of Conduct, UW Regulations and Presidential Directives, and Laramie Code of Ordinances.
The University of Wyoming is a community of scholars in which the ideals of freedom of inquiry, freedom of thought, and freedom of expression are sustained. The exercise and preservation of these freedoms require a respect for the rights of all in the community to enjoy them to the same extent. The Libraries are for use of library materials, consultation with staff, and providing space for research, collaborative or group learning, and quiet, personal study.
- Library staff and users can expect cooperation, courtesy, and respect for individual rights as part of the social contract of the University community.
- Library users can expect equal and open access to library materials, except where limited by legal agreements. Our clientele are asked to exercise tolerance for a broad range of inquiry on the part of other library users.
- Library users are expected to check out circulating materials for out-of-library use and to return them in a timely manner and in good condition (see Borrowers Agreement and Responsibilities).
- Library users can expect the availability of areas conducive to the variety of study and work needs of our communities. It is expected that library users respect the noise level designations posted in library study and work spaces and modify conversation, cell phone use, and activity accordingly.
- Library users are expected to equitably share study and work facilities in the various libraries.
- The Libraries seek to protect the privacy of its users (see Patron Privacy).
- Food and beverages may be consumed in the Libraries, except in the Learning Resource Center and Coe Library’s Emmett Chisum Special Collections. To minimize distraction to other library users and damage to library materials, please consume food in a responsible manner and dispose of trash in the waste and recycling containers provided.
- Library computer equipment is provided for the pursuit of scholarly learning and research and to enable discovery of and access to information resources. Library users are expected to respect the Proper Use of Computing and Data Communications Facilities Operated by the Division of Information Technology or UW Student Lab Policies when using computers in the Libraries.
- The UW Libraries collaborate with other libraries to provide access to collections beyond the University. Library users are expected to adhere to conditions set by lending libraries in order to maintain good relations with those libraries.
- Library users are expected to use library materials in compliance with U.S. Copyright Law, licensed electronic resources under the Libraries’ policy on Acceptable Use of Electronic Resources, and/or use conditions found in catalog records for digital collections produced by the Libraries.
- Library users are expected to be aware of and comply with special use guidelines, including
Access to the UW Libraries’ collections, services, and facilities is a privilege not a right. Failure to meet expectations defined above may result in loss of library access and/or other sanctions spelled out in the documents mentioned in the italicized paragraph above.
Drafted 10/31/2014; Reviewed by Library Department Heads 1/8/2015