Media Collection: Films by Genre
Films by Genre
Each of the following links will open a new window that displays the search results from the library catalog for the films in the UW LIbraries' collection for that specific genre of film.
Searching the Library Catalog by Genre
By using the "Advanced Search" option in the UW Library Catalog, it is possible to locate DVDs or streaming video in a specific genre. To search by DVD or streaming video, select "DVD/VIDEO/ETC" or "STREAMING VIDEO" in the "Material Type" box. Use the shift key along with the mouse pointer to select both types of media.
1. On the UW Libraries webpage, click on "Catalog."
2. On the "Catalog" page, locate the"Advanced Search" button in the "Additional search types" box.
3. The cursor will automatically go to the first blank search field. Type in the name of the genre (e.g., western).
4. Click on the drop-down menu located to the left of the search box and select "SUBJECT."
5. Scroll down and locate the "LOCATION" box. Select "Coe Library Media Collection."
6. Scroll down and click on "DVD/VIDEO/ETC" and/or "STREAMING VIDEO" in the "Material Type" box.
7. Scroll down and click on the green "Submit" button.
8. Search results will be displayed. The default display is by "relevance." The results can also be sorted by date or title (alphabetically).
9. If no results are displayed, it means that there are no DVDs or streaming video cataloged using that specific genre. You may need to try other words in the search box.
10. The search for DVDs may be continued by clicking on the "Check Prospector" button.
11. If you cannot locate any films in that genre, try using broader search terms or using one of the pre-selected genres listed in the box to the left. If you still are unsuccessful, seek assistance at the Coe Library Help Desk.