Research Analytics: InCites Instructions
Analyzing Research Collaboration with InCites
1. Login to InCites. Note: You will need to create a personal InCites/Web of Science login account to use this service.
2. Click "Analytics" (under the InCites/Thomson Reuters logos). Under "Explore InCites Data," click the "Organizations" icon.
3. Under "Filters," go to "By Research Network" and click "Collaborations with Organizations." In the box, type a few letters of the name of the institution whose collaborations you want to analyze, then click on the appropriate suggestion to add it. Scroll down and click "Update Results" at the bottom of the left column.
Note: An orange dot appears beside parameters that have been activated for your search. To see a summary of the specified search parameters, mouse-over the "i" button in the "Results:" section at the top left of the window.
4. InCites shows a list of institutions whose authors have co-authored publications (in the Web of Science database) with authors from the selected institution, along with associated aggregated metrics. Click on the heading name to rank results by the values in that column. To add or remove metrics ("indicators"), click on the cog icon at the top left of the results list.
A chart area appears above the results list. You can choose the type of chart, the values displayed, and the number of elements (according to the ranking of the result list).
To see details about the individual articles being analyzed, click on the number in the "Web of Science Documents" column.
5. To limit the analysis to a particular research area (as assigned to the publishing journals), go to Filters> By Research Output and click on "Research Area." Type a few letters of the desired subject(s) in the box, and click on the appropriate suggestions to add them. The default "schema" of research areas is the Web of Science journal categories; another useful schema is "Essential Science Indicators," which provides a shorter list of broader categories.
To limit the analysis to research funded by one or more specific organizations, go to Filters> By Research Output and click on "Funder." Type a few letters of the desired funding body or bodies in the box, and click on the appropriate suggestions to add them.
Note: Make sure to scroll down and click "Update Results" whenever you change the parameters of your InCites search!
6. To keep entries at the top of the results list, click the check box beside the name, then click the "Pin To Top" button that appears in the lower right corner of the page. To compare with national or global benchmark figures, click "Benchmarks" at the top right of the result list, and select the desired "baseline": Global, or Country (for each country represented by pinned items). You can also see baselines representing the average for all collaborations ("Baseline for All Items"), and for all pinned items.