Research Analytics: Web of Science and InCites Instructions
Analyzing Article Impact with Web of Science and InCites
How do I look up citation information for an article in Web of Science and InCites?
Web of Science
1. Go to Web of Science.
2. Search by topic, author, title, or other options given on the search screen.
3. Locate the article in the results list.
4. The number of times the article has been cited is given to the right of the article title.
5. Click on the number to obtain a list of the publications citing the article.
How do I compare the number of times the article has been cited to the average number of citations per article for this journal?
1. Go to InCites. Note: You will need to create a personal InCites/Web of Science login account to use this service.
2. Click "Analytics" (under the InCites/Thomson Reuters logos). Under "Explore InCites Data," click the "People" icon.
3. Under "Filters," go to "By Attributes," select "Person Name or ID" and enter the author's name. After selecting the name, scroll to the bottom of the left column and click "Update Results."
4. In the resulting list, in the entry for the correct author, click on the number in the column labeled "Web of Science Documents."
5. A list of articles for the author will appear in a pop-up window. This will allow you to compare the number of citations to the article to the expected citations for the journal (the average number of citations in that journal in that year for the same document type) and the expected citations for the category (the average number of citations in that subject area in that year for the same document type), as well as normalized figures which facilitate fairer cross-discipline comparisons.